Creosote is caused when wood is burnt in a fire and all the substances produced flow up into the relatively cooler chimney so condensation occurs. The resulting residue that sticks to the inner walls of the chimney is called creosote.
The problem is that creosote is highly combustible and if it builds up in sufficient quantities – and the internal flue temperature is high enough – it could result in a chimney fire.
To prevent creosote building up it is a best to have it removed on a regular basis. At Stack Chimney Services we remove chimney creosote by first sweeping and then heating the chimney. We then apply a chemical which changes the creosote into a removable form. We then ask the homeowner to set at least 3 hot fires (of at least 300 degrees C) and then we return a week later to descale the chimney and remove the remaining creosote.
This is not a job to be taken lightly so always hire a professional who is trained to recognize deterioration or venting problems and able to advise you regarding the chimney’s condition. It is recommended that chimneys, fireplaces and vents be inspected at least once per year.
So don’t forget, save money and avoid a long wait by having your chimney inspected and cleaned in the spring.
For further information or to get a quote contact us today!