We are Stack Chimney Services regularly receive a number of questions about chimneys and issues surrounding them. Hopefully the information below will be useful.
What should you do if you have a chimney fire
If you realize a chimney fire is occurring, follow these steps:
- Get everyone, including you, out of the house.
- Call the fire brigade
- Put a flare type chimney fire extinguisher into the fireplace or wood stove.
- Close the glass doors on the fireplace.
- Close the air inlets on the wood stove.
- Use a garden hose to spray down the roof (not the chimney) so the fire won’t spread to the rest of the structure.
- Monitor the exterior chimney temperature throughout the house for at least two or three hours after the fire is out.
Remember you can rebuild your home but you cannot rebuild your life if someone is lost in a fire so don’t take any risks with your life or the lives of others.